?

?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Old???...or not

So, with all that said.....what is "old"? In a sense, it really ain't got much to do with all the years "old" you are, it has to do with what you are still able to do at a "old" age.

"Old is when you can’t do what you want to do when you want to do it".
That's pretty plain to me.

In the words of one commenter, you never grow old. Well what the hell do ya call it then....."a young chicken"???  Old people ain't young, they are "old". Plain an' simple. Let take for instance, that "old" pick'em up sit'n out there in the yard. It runs good. The tires are all aired up. All the lights work. But....that ain't no brand spank'n new pick'em up truck.....it's "old". 

Ok, that will give ya something to think bout this morn'n. Have a blast. But please....don't beat me up.

Now that I finally got them paperback western books stowed.....I got to think'n. "When was the last time ya crack one them suckers open an' read"? Most of ya know I done read all them books one time, an' some of 'em, a second time. This collection started when I was boondocking at the "slabs" in southern Ca. In the winter time, it gets dark, an' chilly, at bout 4:30 or 5pm. Ya got to go in the house. You ain't got nuttin to do for the next 4 1/2 hours before bedtime. So ya read. Most winters, I boondock, so I got to have me something to read. But.....will I ever boondock again? There are hunnerts of RV parks out there that supply electric, water, sewage an' cable TV. Who needs books? In case ya didn't know, boondock'n don't have none that "good" stuff.

When I get up hurt'n in the morn'ns, I no longer says....What the hell???, why am I hurt'n". I have a copy of my MRI ya know, an' I can see why I hurt every morn'n. As long as that crap is push'n against my nerves, I'm gonna hurt. But I'm still skeered like hell to have this surgery. With no guarantee of the results....well, you know what I'm talk'n bout. An' there's still the possibility I may be too "old" for the surgery. Old as in "you are wore slap out" (lungs an' heart condition). I'll be soooo freak'n glad to get this behind me so's I can talk bout something else. I heard the neighbor fire up the bulldozer this morn'n.

Oh, speak'n of feel'n better, these Spiriva thingys seem to be help'n my breathing. Much better than the Advair did. All my life I wanted nuttin to do with tak'n medications an' stuff like that. Doctors an' hospitals only in a emergency. Now that I'm "old", those ideas are a thing of the past. "Now where the hell did I put my blood pressure pills"??? "Where's my phone in case I need to call a amblance (read that as spelled)"? This shit sucks.

I like spend'n time writ'n on my blog ever day. It takes my mind off'n these damn aches an' pains, "fix it" lists, warsh'n dishes, sweep'n floors....stuff like that. I know I don't have nuttin excit'n to write about, but it sure do help me to feel better. In fack, it make me feel like a hunnert dollar bill.
Oh, I done warshed up all them dishes yesterday. 

Damn, I almost forgit. That pressure cooker I was gonna throw in the dumpster. I'm gonna keep that sucker. I don't even care if'n I never use it again or not.....it's go'n in that drawer under the fridge. In olden days, we called it a Kelvinator.

Ok, that's bout it for today. Wished I had some adventure to tell ya bout, but that's "down the road a piece". See ya tomorrow morn'n....or afternoon.   

15 comments:

  1. I watch the Texas Rangers baseball games even though they tanked this year.Last night there was a lady in the stadium celebrating her 99th birthday.They interviewed her and she said she was having a great time.She had a hot dog and two beers and loved the game even though they lost big time.They asked her what she wants to do next year on her 100th birthday.Her answer was to throw out the first pitch at the ballgame.Now Billy Bob,that lady was old but she was not about to give up on enjoying life.If we all age the same way we can all go out with a bang! It's all in the attitude,dude....Vada in Tx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vada, I hope I didn't give you no idea I was giv'n up on life or nuttin like that. What years I have left, I sure would like to have a whole bucket full of fun. Go'n out with a bang don't sound too good to me.....oh wait, you weren't talk'n bout no gun shots were ya?

      When I DO find time for think'n bout fun times, I git all excitis....want to hit the road again. But as you are aware, that's down the road a piece. I can throw a baseball......

      Delete
    2. I don't do baseball, never did but I shared a table with a lady that made me feel like a kid again. She retired from her last position, historic society president when she turned 100, job she held from age 85. She also shared an experience she had when she was 79, she ran over herself with her car. She still walks 2 miles every day. By comparison, I'm just a kid, I'm only 75.
      Mickey

      Delete
  2. I was a little surprised when I read that you were going to throw out a pressure cooker, and laughed at your blog today. If you don't think you'll ever use it again and it's too good to throw out, you could give it to the Salvation Army. That's where I take old stuff when I'm making room for new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gypsy, ya see, it's like this, I was read'n all them recipes in that pressure cooker cook book....an' damn, I can cook some that stuff. Would be a perfect "recovery time" project. Chef Billy Bob.

      Delete
  3. Ain't nuttin wrong wit jou that some tending to the BB Tree at San Pedro won't cure. Not to mention some El Palenque fajitas. Get fixed and roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it of not Barney, but I been dream'n bout that BB tree. I'm rekon Del Rio is one my favorite places to be.

      Delete
  4. When you get to be a hundred maybe you can throw out the first pitch at a ball game. . . does your grandson play in little league?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Dizzy, I got me bout 12 grandsons. Some played an' some ain't ready yet. Or they would rather play "IPod" games.
      Did I ever tell ya I was a little league coach....two times?

      Delete
    2. I even got me a great grandson almost of age too.

      Delete
    3. Lucky dog. I am not going to live long enough for a great grandson to show up.

      Delete
  5. It helps to write the blog because it reminds us we are still connected to the world. So why am I just reading and not writing? I guess I do all my writing in comments on other people's blogs nowadays. Another sign I'm getting old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are exact opposites Linda. I could write all day long, but when it comes to comments, I get completely lost.

      Delete
  6. I grew up calling the fridge a icebox! I remember as a kid there was a old man on the lake and we would help him put a 25lb block of ice in his "Ice Box" which was his refrigerator. I still call it a ice box most of the time. Born and raised in central Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Old is when you can’t do what you want to do when you want to do it".

    If I were to go by that definition...then I got old when I turned 38 :-(

    ReplyDelete