?

?

Friday, October 24, 2014

Another break down....Grrrrrrrr

Robert holler at me from under there....."daddy, give it a try". I hollers back..."HUH, what ya say"?
At this point, I could add all the detail, spice an' herbs, but I ain't gonna do that. The auto parking brake is work'n just like brand spank'n new. Scratch that sucker off'n the list.

What starts off as a little "project" job....to reblue the barrel on my Henery .22 lever action rifle, turns into a disaster. A few tools are rounded up an' out come some screws. It weren't nuttin flat, an I got me a pile of parts lay'n on my desktop.

But....the barrel won't come out of the receiver thingy. Hee hee hee, Google is your best friend....."how to remove a barrel from a Henery rifle".

And this is when the disaster hit. My Toshiba laptop has Windows 8.0 on it, an' ever one of ya know how much I HATE Windows 8.0. Every time I boot up the computer, a little screen pops up say'n "Upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free". Only 3.5 gigs or something like that. You have a option...."remind me later". I hit that button bout a gazillion time now since I own this computer. They can stick their Windows 8.1 far as I'm concerned.

I push the on/off button to fire up my computer....gotta Google ya know. Up pops that dad gum free upgrade window thingy. I hit the options button. The "remind me later" is no longer there. Only options are "Start download"...Now, 1 hour, 2 hour, or 4 hour. That's it, no other options. I clicks 4 hour an' hits the OK button, just to get rid of that winder. From this point on, I don't know what happen inside my computer.....but it don't work no more. I am SUPER HIGHLY pissed off. Microsoft put the screws to the old Billy Bob an' the old Billy Bob don't know how to fix it.

Me an' Robert head up the street to Best Buy to get this thing fixed. Nice little girl tell me right off the bat...$200....and 4 days to a week. I don't like this little girl. She says I'm gonna lose everthing I got saved....my 3000 or so photos gone.....poooof, just like that. I have bout 9 years of them photos saved on my external hard drive....all I would lose from the computer is the last 2 or 3 years.

Up the street is a computer repair shop. When I tell the nice guy bout the Windows free upgrade thingy, he knowed. $129 an' 3 to 4 days repair. An' he would save my photos. For a extra $50, he would do a rush job (front of line) repair. I took that option. Fingers an' toes crossed again. Maybe today or tomorrow I will have my computer back all repaired.

As I type, I am in possession of a super high speed laptop borried to me by my wonderful son Robert.  
Now....what the hell is go'n on? All this stuff break'n down at one time....this ain't right. Sit'n here look'n at my "fix it" list, I've had way too much stuff break in a very short time. Is this some kind of test to see what I will do....go ape shit, or is it just a quincedents ( I love my spell'n) ???? Anybody 'member a few years back when that rain cloud follow me all over the country everwhere I would go? Rain like hell where ever I would camp. Boy howdy, I sure don't miss that.

So, how do I feel this morn'n after work'n all day yesterday an' the computer break down stress? Still hang'n in there with my Advil 3 to 5 pain levels.....bearable. In fack, I sleeped a full 8 1/2 hour last night. I don't do that often. The human body don't need that much sleep time.....except in the case of a hangover or something like that. That's just the way I look at things, so don't get all excitis.

That was my day yesterday. Today is a new day.....here come the old Billy Bob.

Oh wait, the barrel has been removed by use of a big ol' hammer.  

10 comments:

  1. I had the hinge break off on this laptop. Took it to Best Buy and Office Supply. They both wanted a fortune to fix it and said it may take 4 to 6 weeks. On the way home I stopped at a small computer repair place and got it fixed in a couple of days and at a fraction of the cost. I will never take anything to those two places to get fixed unless it is under warranty, which my computer is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya there Dizzy, big store computer repairs are ridiculous. They won't even look at one for less than a hunnert dollar bill...Best Buy.

      Delete
  2. I don't intend to update anything on the computer from now on. They just move things around and change the looks of everything and it is just like learning the complete thing all over again. That's what happened with my GPS. I can do without GPS and I can learn to do without the computer if it ever comes to that, although I don't want to give up the computer. Best Buy has always been a rip-off for repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Windows 8.0, Microsoft says to upgrade to 8.1. There is no option but to click on their little "OK" button. If'n ya don't click, ya don't get to use your computer. Bill Gates used to be my friend. USED to be.

      Years ago I purchased a Sony Vaio laptop. One of the 2 USB's quit work'n. Best Buy fixed it for me....at a reasonable price...at the time (2003). Much has changed.

      Delete
  3. Computer fixers AND sellers, along with politicians, lawyers, car salesmen, insurance cos. and funeral homes all belong to the WMSY Club. Unfurled, that means Watch Me Shaft You! Steve a fellow blogger, who fixed my recent computer glitch did it in seconds. Guarantee BB or Office Max, those shafters, would have charged me an arm and both legs. I've been taken many times with computer fixers. Have invested at least $5,000 over the last fourteen years buying and having repairs. Yep, life consists of their shafting $ good $ times. One has to be aware of the crooks out there.

    Computer ain't much count anyhows, if'n you gotta use a 'big' hammer to dismantle part of your gun. Eh? Or did you spice that remark up just a tad, Billy Bob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sissy, there was no spice in the use of a hammer. Now if'n a gunsmith would a seen me do that, he would have had a conniption fit an' throwed something at me. But...the old Billy Bob knows how hard to swak something with a hammer an' he know the exact spot to swak it.

      Grrrrrrrrr....to dumbputer repairs.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ha Ha Ha, George. That's funny!

      Delete
  5. Maybe I'm too late but if you have a microsoft account, hotmail is one , your pictures can be saved to "onedrive live" a cloud storrage that automatically uploads and saves your pictures. My windows phone saves them to "the cloud" soon as I take them, take a picture and log on to onedrive a minute later and the picture is there. You can also save documents and any other file there also.
    I don't like windows 8 but upgraded to 8.1 soon as it was available as that seems to correct a lot of their mistakes on 8.0 . I also have and use a MacBook pro which I like better then windows 8 for most of the stuff I do.
    I do all my own repairs on computers, never took one anywhere for repairs. I did send my tablet back to dell when it died still on warranty, free shipping both ways and had it back less then 10 days with a new motherboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this is terrible! Not only did you have to pay a lot to get it fixed, you also lost your files—not to mention not being able to google how to fix that barrel. Anyway, I hope you got things figured out for your computer already. Thanks for sharing!


    Alison Henderson @ Scorpion Computers

    ReplyDelete