?

?

Thursday, November 6, 2014

New deck an' the "brown truck"

Pre cold front has arrived. It's 62 degs out there an' start'n to rain. One forecaster says it's gonna rain like a sum-a-gun, while another one says it will bypass the area with very little downfall. Then....for the next week, it's gonna be cold again. Dang I hate cold weather.

That handsome brute stand'n in that picture up there is the old Barnacle Bill. Now called Billy Bob. But everbody already knowed that....right? I stood in that salon every morn'n for 7 years.....look'n for my glasses before I went to work at The University of Texas in Port Aransas, Texas. The boat name was Coyote. She was a 41 foot Formosa Ketch built in Taiwan in 1972. Loved that boat, but sand'n an' varnish'n teak leaves little time for the finer things in life.

When Robert arrived yesterday, the bolts in the rear end were tightened an' 3 quarts of high dollar ($13 a quart) rear end oil stuff was added. Test runned in the yard. No noises. We also didn't do nuttin to correct any noises. Just inspected an' put back together.

Robert says...."my god daddy, you screwed up the deck". Off to town we went (in the "billy jeep") to pick up a can of spray paint. Joann's, of what ever to hell ya call it, came into view. Inside the store, back there in the crafts section, is this big selection of hobby bass wood. I buy 12 pieces of 1/16th by 1/4 inches. That should be plenty to re-deck the tug boat. The pieces were stained before I glue them in place. My god, that looks super beautiful. Shoot, I'm gonna make me another trip to Joanns an' buy me up a whole hand full of that bass wood for future projects.
Two coats of polyurethane will be applied today. Dang, I can hardly wait.

Camp chairs. We stop at Academy an' I buy me up two more camp chairs. They last 2 years. No more, no less....for $15 each. I like the chairs 'cause they are not only comfortable, they are light. Too bad China don't know how to make good webbing for 'em. Ya put 'em in the sunshine, the webbing come slap apart. Now I heard somewheres that you can buy a can of ultraviolet spray on protection. Gonna have to Google that. Suggestions welcomed.

Yeeee Haaaa.....parts just arrived by the "brown truck". Now the old Billy Bob don't mess around when he receives awaited parts. He installs them. Well just one. The stuffing box where the propeller shaft goes through the hull. Got it all Bondo'ed in an' super glued....water tite.

An', in case you're wonder'n, two thin coats of poly have been applied to the deck. Ready for some light sand'n before the last finish coat....after it dries. I'm think'n bout 3 hours.

On with my day, what started a dad gum hour early 'cause I forget to set my bedroom clock back a hour. Daylight sav'ns time sucks. I rekon since it's so beautiful outside....cold front ain't here yet, I could go pick up some stuff an' put it away.....or in the dumpster. "Sally da house" is *this* close to ready for that 1000 mile trip. But, is the old Billy Bob almost ready? Ha...cold front git here, he be ready in a minute I betcha.

11 comments:

  1. 303® Aerospace Protectant for the camp chairs. We use it on yaks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided I like going to bed an hour earlier each night, and getting up an hour earlier in the morning. So I changed half the clocks in my house to Daylight Savings time, and left the others on good ol' regular time. If I wasn't confused before just think about what I'm like now! The boat is looking really good. I'm glad you found Joanne's - you can get lots of fabric there too in case you take up sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.joann.com/stores?latitude=27.7070313634172&longitude=-97.3696559086358 here is the one in Corpus

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you are getting ready to hit the road? Ah, you are going to miss the family, I betcha.
    Thanks for the tip about JoAnn's. I been needing to put thin sheets in my window sills. Weather ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I betcha when that cold front bites at your tail you will be heading south to find some warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my Dad convinced that tuner cleaner (as in old style TV tuners...) would fix pretty much anything. Usually what he was fixing was actually fixed by taking it apart and 'blowing' on it. I let him think it was the tuner cleaner, though. I'm thinking that differential was the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to get things all fixed up, that deck looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just got off DST. On regular now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to run into you in an aisle at Joanns! Me with my arms full of yarn or quilting fabrics, you with your wood supplies. We could have a good time! Did you know they usually have a coupon on their website to print (or bring in on a smart phone) to save a certain percentage off your purchases even in the store?

    ReplyDelete