Something this morn'n got me to think'n bout all the stuff in my life what I just have to have. We talk'n toys here folks, so don't be get'n all excitis (excited). Anything what amuses or satisfies the male ego in a man is a toy. He ain't gonna be happy until he has that thing in his possession come rain or shine. Gonna rant and rave, bitch and moan "gotta have, gotta have"....make life miserable until it is his. Then he don't want it no more. Let it sit outside in the rain rust'n away....(trucks and cars, big ol' bass boats, motorcycles, hunnert hp lawn tractors, bicycles with no motors). All the other have to haves is stuffed in a closet, basement or out in the garage where the family car is supposed to be parked. The old Billy Bob is guilty of all the above. How bout you??? Women, be strong, stand your ground, he don't need it no matter what he says.
As you are aware from yesterdays post, my batteries were dead. Some ya might say "so what, charge 'em". Well it don't exactly work that way with all batteries. RV "house" batteries are deep cycle batteries, designed to never be discharged below 50% capacity. Unlike a "car" battery (lead acid cranking battery) what can be fully discharged and recharged many times with out damage, a deep cycle battery takes a beat'n each time it is abused in such a fashion.....like what I did to mine. The life span of a well maintained deep cycle battery is from 5 to 8 years. And them suckers cost any wheres from $100 to $300 each. A boondocking rig will usually have 4 6volt deep cycle batteries. Two is a minimum.
Ok, so here's the deal. I ain't the best battery maintainer by no means. But I seldom let the capacity drop below 50%. Yesterdays capacity drop was only noticed 'cause it were dark in here. Solar panels ain't seen no sunshine in days, so the converter (charges the battery bank) must not be working. That was already determined yesterday. So I yank the converter out of it's little cubby hole, drill out the pop rivets and remove the protective cover. Gonna fix it I betcha. Oh Oh.....what the hell, a capacitor is all swelled up and the solder joints are melted. There are no electronic stores in Douglasville, Ga. so's I gotta do something else. Jump in "that jeep" and heads up the road a piece to the RV parts sell'n place. Buy me up a brand spank'n new converter in just bout a minute and goes back to "da house". Install that sucker, a few sparks here an' there.....it work'n fine. I will be keeping the old converter to "fix" when I have nuttin else to do.