?

?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bored....who me??

Boy howdy, I was sit'n there last night an' says...."damn, it's kind of warm in here". It were 67 degs right long bout 8pm. (2000 hours if'n you're militery).  Turns off the heater and open the door. Now this what I'm talk'n bout. By bedtime, 11:30pm, it were a chilly 61 degs out there. Up early this morn'n to 59 degs. Cain't beat that with a stik. But damn, it all foggy out there....an' there ain't no sunshine again.

A while back, I mentioned that I may never come back to south Texas in the winter time. But everbody know I weren't really serious. Things just don't always work out the way you was expect'n. Ya see, I was expect'n to be sit'n out in the yard sip'n up a cup in tee shirt, SHORTS an' barefoots. But this year has been a exception to the rule. It's freak'n cold no matter where you at. Well, maybe not down there in Florida where it summer all the time. I don't do Florida....nope ain't gonna do it. Anything east of the Mississippi river is out. An' that my friends, leaves only two other places in the entire country where in the winter I would camp. Southern Ca. and south Texas. Take note that Yuma Arizona is also warm in the winter.....but, my god, ya ain't never see so many RV's an' traffic an' noise in your life time? Only place in Yuma I like is "da pond". Fortuna Pond that is. And the only reason for that is the rainbow trout they stock in it (Dec, Jan an' Feb). 

Me an' first mate Vickie Lynn took off for California. When we departed Port Aransas, Texas, it was in the dead of winter. February first, 2002. We was both wear'n shorts. By the time we got to Del Rio an' Judge Roy Bean's place in Langtry, Texas, it were get'n a bit on the chilly side at night. Run the batteries slap down run'n the furnace. "Oh, let's go to Big Bend" says Vickie Lynn. An' that what we did the very next day. Now I don't know bout anybody else, but 14 degs at night is cold. And when the batteries go dead at 3am, you know exactly what cold is really about. We stay there for 4 days freez'n at night and enjoy'n beautiful sunshine dur'n the day. "My god Billy Bob, what was you think'n"??? By the time we got to Ridgecrest, Ca., our bones was all froze up stiff like boards, done fill the propane tank bout three four times an' burn a hunnert gallon gas charg'n them damn dead batteries. An' it snowed the first night we got there. When we returned to Port Aransas (end of March), upon arrival, we was wear'n shorts.

I think of old Vickie Lynn ever once in a while. Then I thank my lucky stars for the day she walked the plank. Done married herself up to some young buck an' drinked herself slap to death. God rest her soul.
But she was a good ol' girl. Knowed all bout camp'n, all bout birds an' flowers, how to wash dishes an' do laundy....smoke weed and drink vodka.

So here I sit in south Texas. Ain't got nuttin to do, no where's I want to go.....bored slap out my mind. This ain't exactly what I was expect'n when I retired and decided to be a full time RV'er. Although, it ain't all that bad. I guess I could be sit'n in a little house somewheres, probly freez'n my ass off, dream'n of travel'n all over the country with not a care in the world. But that ain't what I did. I jump right in there with two feets an' here I am. For over 10 years it's been a wonderful journey. Put'n miles behind me in my second "home on wheels". See'n stuff I though I would never see. This is a wonderful life. Even if'n I do freeze my ass off ever once in a while. I'm free. 


5 comments:

  1. And that's how it is,,,Your last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're not retired, guess you could call what we're doing semi-retired, but we are also free. Livin' the dream I've had ever since 2002. Coming up on three years on the road in a wee while, loving it and with no regrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kind of freedom you have is priceless. I hope to be just like you when I grow up...if I ever do!

    Keep on trucking, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I foolishly decided to become self employed and now the economy in the pits I really doubt I will ever see "retirement" as you know it. Enjoy your freedom Billy Bob and thanks for sharing your days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That freedom thing sure says it all, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete