?

?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Stay'n warm

Cain't think of much of anything to write about this morn'n, so's I gonna just sit here till I come up with something. "Holy crap Billy Bob, ya gonna sit there all day"?

September and October are bad months for me. I got vehicle registrations to take care of. Two different insurance companies to send my hard earned dollars to every 6 months. Then it's the time of the year I have to think about how I gonna stay warm for the winter. If'n ya know anything bout the US, ya know there ain't many places you can go to avoid freez'n temps and the dreaded "snow" season.

I remember one time, when my mind was only half work'n, I took off for Atlanta to spend Christmas with the kids and grandkids. Boy howdy was that ever a mistake. Parked "Sally da house" on a freak'n hill (sons driveway). Come Christmas day, it were cold. Water lines and water pump frozed slap up. Heater run'n full bore...never get above 55 degs inside. This was a year for snow. I were stuck on a hill in the snow. I tole the kids I ain't neeever come back to Atlanta in the winter. An' I ain't.

There's always Florida....right? Sunshine State or something like that. Well, if'n ya ain't never been to Florida, it don't take long to hate it. Ya wanna rent a RV space in Florida? Bring bout $600 a month an' some change. There ain't no sunshine nowheres worth that much. I been through part of Florida in the summer. Didn't like that neither. I pulls into a RV park an' says to the nice lady...."Ya got a spot for me for "one" night"? They sure did. Out back with the old dilapidated travel trailers, druggies, and trailer park queens. All for $38 a night. Heee Hee hee, my kind of people....not my kind of prices.

Spent 3 winters at the "slabs" out in southern Calif. Now this is a "wild an' wooly" kind of place to spend a winter. But it's free. Ain't nuttin there but 640 acres of desert sands, bushes and thousands of crazy people with only one thing on their mind....FREE an' "get neekit". There ain't no water, ain't no electricity and there ain't no place to dump your poop tank. Ya want any that stuff, ya go to town. Walmart is 25 mile away, so it ain't all that bad.

Last but not least is south Texas if'n ya wanna stay warm. If'n ya know anything bout Texas, ya know it's a rather large state. Ya don't just go "down the road a piece". Ya gotta drive for days to get somehweres. And you're still in Texas when ya get there. Last year I took the advice of OFM Barney and spend the winter in Falcon Heights, Texas. Boy howdy let me tell ya, it were warm. Winter only lasted bout a week or something like that. There's a State Park there for $90 a week or ya can stay at the Community Park for nuttin. I did both. The lake was fantastic for fisher guys and gals. Perfect for "bubba" boats and stuff like that. Catch ya up all the bass fishes ya ever wanted. Big 'uns too.

So, there's only 3 choices to stay warm in the winter. Anywheres else ya gonna freezer your ass off. 

10 comments:

  1. No wonder Ben Woods loved his native Texas and never really wanted to live anyplace at all, was proud of his people and adored his daughter Autumn!!! Texas would be the place where I live it is almost 300 days of rain, inclement weather and the people show it too, most assbackward people I have ever encountered, always some shit on the tv. Recently a drifter killer stabbed a wonderful man who had just take a morning walk with his wife of many years, this fellow worked in a professional manner for many years just retired, paid taxes, raised children, had a lovely home, sweet person..The fellow walked to a bus stop but & the police noticed asked him some questions, he was at the wrong bus stop but told them he was going into Portland the largest city in the state of Oregon..He got away for about 5 days right in front of many people..What a jackass, now they got him, has a rap sheet a mile long but killed that lovely man...I say shoot em up ask the questions later he murdered that fellow for no reason, stranger to stranger killing is they say rare well he killed that man, burglarizing homes for money to keep on moving just before he killed that sweet fellow he never had any respect for human life, in Texas they fire first and ask questions later, here they let those killers roam free..No watch out for yourself Billy Bob, lots of killers on the loose in this country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some years we have winter and some years we don't. Like I tell my friends and family in Pennsylvania, that down here last year winter was on a Thursday. I am sure you will again enjoy South Texas and the bass fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, I been in your neck of the woods in winter an' I can tell ya right now, it get cold there just like it do anywheres else north of San Antone. Not as cold as up around the Great Lakes, but cold enough for old Billy Bob to stay south of there. When it get down in the mid to lower 20's at night, I'm outta there.

      Delete
  3. Two insurance companies, You are loosing out on the multi vehicle discount, I get that from gmac which saved me over a thousand dollars a month when I switched from allstate in late nineties. For What It's Worth info.
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mickey, when I had "Sally da house" and "that jeep" insured through GMAC, it was $800 more a year than insuring through the two companies I have now. GMAC kept go'n up every year till it was cheaper to split the two.

      Delete
    2. WOW, saved $1,000 per month. I hate to think how much you paid to save that much.

      Delete
  4. I know that you had a problem with your solar panels not charging your batteries properly and you had to rewire it. what was the problem in the first place.

    When you get to Falcon Lake can't you just set around a couple of days and wait for some other OF to show up with a Bass Boat needing someone to go fishing with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to not check'n the water in the batteries, I runed 'em. They was discharg'n inside themselves.....eat up all my amp hours. The heavier wire from the charge controller to the batteries helped a bunch too. Checked with one them cheap hydrometers this morn'n. All 4 balls float'n to the top.

      Wait'n for an old fart to show up with a bass boat is my idea of hav'n toooo much fun. Did that last year at Lake Amistad in Del Rio. One guy at Falcon Lake was gonna take me out on his, but all he did was wave at me sit'n there with my fish pole in my hands ever time he went by a hunnert mile a hour.

      Delete
  5. BB -

    Come on back home to Texas - you know it's where you want to be. And if it's too cold where you are, then like you say, just drive down the road a piece, 'bout 200 miles, and it'll be a lot warmer. Had us a nice almost winter here on the Gulf Coast last year, and icy the one before - never the same!

    We'll put out the welcome mat for you - here in God's country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always got room for one more here in the Lone Star State, especially if he is wanting to go fishing!

    Like Sis said, the weather changes almost daily! Dizzy probably has a free spot you could park "Sally Da House!"

    ReplyDelete