?

?

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Bang'n my head on the floor.....

Been a really bad day for the old Billy Bob. I was tell'n somebody the other day that I ain't fall down in a few months. Well, I did this morn'n. I was climb'n out of bed, do'n a hunnert mile a hour 'cause I had me a leg cramp. I was go'n "GD....GD....GD". Both legs was wrap up in a blanket. I bounce off a wall an' hit the floor head first. I lay there for a second...everthing is crookit. I still got that leg cramp ya know....jump up an' take care of that. I had a headache ever since. An' I still cain't see straight.  I need to lay down.

I'll tell ya bout the coffee grounds on the floor at another time....

This afternoon I'm feel'n much better. Watch me some TV an' eat up a big ol' steak sammich.

Ok.....I grab holt to my voltage check'n thingy...multimeter. Sorry ladies. I go outside an' check the voltage on the battery bank. 12.75 volts. Now that can't be right, the solar charge controller show 13.56 volts. So's I check the voltage at the battery wires connected to the charge controller. 13.00 volts. That ain't right neither. The next step will be to check the solar panel voltage....what should read 17.2 volts with the wires disconnected (open circuit voltage). I'll do that right now.....be back in a minute.Whoa....19.48. That too high....or is it? "Billy Bob, order a new charge controller". Google is your best friend.
Ok, forget all them solar panel voltages. The power voltage (wires connected) for my solar panels should be 17.7 volts an' the open circuit voltage (disconnected) should be 20 volts. The panels are fine. "Billy Bob, order a new charge controller". That's settled, this damn charge controller ain't no good.  Here goes another $300 bill. Free electricity from the sun is expensive. "Psssst Billy Bob, 10 or 15 nights of free boondock'n will pay for that charge controller". I feel better with that thought in mind.

Since I have the solar system all tore apart, I may as well check everthing all the ways from the roof, to the charge controller, to the batteries. That's a lot of wires to check.

Climb'n up there on the roof should prove to be something worth reading. I HATE that roof.









9 comments:

  1. Did you get a concussion? Hope not. As a complete dufuss, I don't understand why solar panels don't work when the sky is overcast. Seems to me they should work, only a lot slower???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kristine....you are absolutely right, solar panels do charge on overcast days....just like you said, at a much lower rate. So that makes you NOT a dufuss.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. The trip up to the roof may not be too bad, but the trip back down could be exciting, to say the least!

    Be careful, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember if you fall off the roof and don't move for a while the goat might eat you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never have any problem getting up on the roof, it is getting down that is the problem. Be careful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful getting up and getting back down off that roof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say hire someone to get up on the roof and check things out. How much can it cost? Bet it is a lot cheaper than having to foot the bill for the ambulance...not to mention the doctor and hospital charges.

    This not taking into account the pain you will have to endure. Be safe and know when you are over your head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound like a new charge controller for sure.
    Make sure ya don't fall off that roof, you will be sore!

    ReplyDelete