?

?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mississippi bound

Even though I were feel'n really good bout be'n back on the road yesterday, I stopped at my destination for a good nights rest. I could have gone on for another hunnert mile or so, but "what's the hurry"?

Then it struck me as I sit here think'n....."ya ain't got no television Billy Bob". What the hell am I gonna do for the next 4 hours before bed time? What could be better than to put my hiking boots on and go for a little hike in the rest area. Talk to a few truckers. Walk over to the woods look'n for wild critters.....bears, rattlesnakes, spiders....stuff like that. Ok, that ate up a whole 30 minutes...."now what ya gonna do Billy Bob"?

Got to think'n bout that little cactus garden and doll house. I ain't never build a doll house before, but I did build a VW beetle in the sand on the beach in Port Aransas years ago. Here's what I'm think'n. First off I got to build a water tite container thingy for the cactus garden....it gonna sit over there on that cabinet thingy I bought not long ago. The mini-cactus will come from Walmart if'n they still sell them. A few can be plucked from the desert areas I'll be travel'n in.

In the middle of that cactus garden will sit a homemade Mexican styled adobe house, built out of homemade adobe bricks/blocks. Complete with tar paper and concrete blocks on the roof (maybe). Adobe mixing material can be purchased online, but I'm think'n to pick up a bag full of New Mexico clay and sand off the old family homesteads in Columbus. Kind of make a "special" project. What ya think??? It's either a doll house or a helicopter.

Ok, it's bout time to crank up "Sally da house" an' head 'em up west. Wagons ho....
Look for updates.
*******************************************************
Yee Ha, Yippy kie yah....or something like that, got 350 miles behind me.  "Google is your best friend Billy Bob...it's 'Yippee-ki-yay'...sheesh".

Sit'n here in the only other rest area in Mississippi, bout half ways through. It's look'n like I'm gonna have to drive some extra miles today. My destination stop is only down the road bout 75/80 mile. But....did ya know, Looseanna ain't got no rest areas. Oh wait, yeah they do....bout half ways across the state. "Damn Billy Bob, cain't ya read a map"???
Ain't at all tired, but I sure as hell was hungry. And of course I had to walk that damn dog to do her stuff ya know. And what did she do? Sat her butt down right next to mine in the shade of a big ol' oak tree and that was it. Ain't never gonna take that dog for a walk anymores.

Ok....a few minutes lay back time on the couch and head 'em up west. See ya down the road a piece.

**********************************************************************
7:30pm eastern

Fount me a place "Sally da house" would fit into an' pump some gas into the tank. I were get'n a bit low. Put in 51 gallons @ $3.46.9. That should last me bout a day and a half. Of course that depends on how far I drive a day.

Boy howdy, you shoulda hear the old Billy Bob back up the road. It were GRRRRRRRRRR, grrrrrrrrr, grrrrrr....cuss cuss cuss. Make a sailor take a back seat. Ya see, it were like this, I had make a wise decision to drive on to the next rest area, since it were too early to go to bed an' I weren't tired yet. But, by the time I get to that other rest area, I were wored slap out....couldn't keep my eyes open. At the rest area exit, there was 5 gallon buckets, 55 gallon oil drums, 2x4's and a concrete barricades all over the place....block'n the entrance. I were pissed I betcha a dollar. Then on down the road on the other side was another rest area, go'n the other way ya know, an' that sucker was open......full of trucks and cars. Set the old Billy Bob off all over again.

Now I'm almost in Texas by bout 35 mile. I were gonna go all the way, but fount this big ol' park'n lot behind one them gambl'n establishments. This where I gonna spend the night. Load up the .357, lay back and watch the sun go down.

No I ain't took no damn pictures. Still nuttin but trees and never end'n highway.





14 comments:

  1. Every time I go to a flea market, I look for VCR tapes and DVD movies that look interesting. I now have quite a library built up so can watch a movie every night if I can't get something I like on the TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shoot Dizzy, all them VCR tapes and DVD movies would just be dust collectors in Billy Bob's house. As far as the TV, take a look at what I was tell'n Trouble.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, i took it as,, he doesn't have a TV period, and was wondering why not...lolololol. I always have a book. I missed all the updates yesterday, just caught up. Will do better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might as well not have one when I travel. Never turn it on, even when I pull off the road for the night....or the remainder of beautiful sunshine and night time.

      Delete
  3. I have a little portable TV that has it's own battery. It only runs for 2 hours, but does break the monotony when traveling...that is, when I can get a signal on it. There's places where I get good signals & places where I don't. It came with it's own little antenna too, but it's a really small antenna. Mine came from WalMart. Last time I looked, they had a small portable tv/dvd combo. That would be cool to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a big ol' 32 inches TV right up there over the dash, but never turn it on while travel'n. I don't even like TV, but my son Robert talk me into this one.

      Delete
  4. Dad, be careful and keep it between the lines. Sure do miss you already.


    billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this rate you might be in NM tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't no way I gonna do that Barney. I still gots over a thousand miles to go ya know. I'm think'n somewheres bout the first of next week....may stop off somewheres or change my route.

      Delete
  6. I'd say go for building the cactus garden and doll house. Building a helicopter brings to mind putting a motor on the Billy boat, or the Billy bike! Do you actually know how to make & work with adobe? A man of many talents.

    Of all the comforts and modern things in life, it's a toss up between cell phone and TV that I could do without for a couple of years and never miss them. Not having a cell phone is a mild inconvenience, but not have a TV is peace, quiet, and no bad news, bad commercials, bad announcers, and bad reality shows. Hey y'all, I know I'm in the minority here but just sayin' how I feel about TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can bet yer bippy I knows how to work with adobe. Ain't nuttin to it. Just a hand full of mud and some sand, trim some hairs off'n Sadie Mae an' mix it all up. Ya got to remember these blocks is only gonna be bout 1/2 a inches by bout 3/8 inches by maybe a 1/4 inches. Gonna be a gazillion of 'em.
      I'm right there with ya on the tv deal.

      Delete
  7. When you leave tomorrow and go 30 miles, at exit 5, look to the left about 2 miles and you could see my house, if those pine trees weren't in the way. I'd invite you for a cup, but at 7 am I plan to be on Caddo Lake at Karnak chasing those wily crappies.
    Be safe. I enjoy reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ya John, welcome to Billy Bob's place. Well, even if'n you ain't home when I pass by, I gonna blow the horn....just in case ya oversleeped.

      Delete