?

?

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Peas an' peach cobbler

Exclusive Weather News: Falcon Heights, Texas. It's freak'n cold.

Well, no it ain't. It was a bit chilly all day yesterday with a high of 47 degs and a night time low of 43 degs. That ain't really  that bad is it now is it? Oh, did I mention it rained all day yesterday? Sure nuff did....what made it feel that much colder. Forecasts call for more of the same weather for the next few days. YUK!!!

This morn'n we gonna be taking a short course in cake bak'n. Billy Bob Cherry Chocolate Cake that is. I tole you yesterday I was gonna bake one up and that's what I did.



So here what ya do. Put ya on a big ol' heavy coat, jump in the car an' go to Walmart to pick ya up a few essential ingredients....
1 box of your favorite yeller cake mix. Brand name recommended....don't be cheap.
1 can of your favorite chocolate fudge frosting...whipped recommended
1 can of Comstock cherry pie filling
3 eggs
1/3 cup veg oil if'n the cake mix calls for oil

Ok, are ya back yet? We got a cake to bake. In a mixi'n bowl, pour the cake mix in. Kind of make a little holler in the middle. Take ya 3 eggs an' beat em' up a little bit. Like you was mak'n scramble eggs. Pour the eggs and oil in that holler and start mix'n with a fork, spoon, egg flipper....anything to get all that stuff all mix up real good. Remember at this time, we ain't put'n no water in the mix. No water. Not the first drop. Now's the time ya put the cherry pie fill'n in there. Yeah, mix it up some more. Take ya a 9 x 13 cake pan and oil that sucker up so's the cake don't stick. I rekon you could use a couple 8 or 9 inches round cake pans if'n ya wanted. Don't need no flour, but if'n ya want to, go ahead. Ya did turn the oven on didn't ya? Set it to 350 degs. Pout that glob of stuuf in the bowl directly into the cake pan. Kind of level it out. Bake for right bout 30 minutes or so. You know how to check when it's done. Toothpick....remember?

 Onest that sucker cool down a bit, smear that whole can of chocolate frost'n all over the top. Eat'em up.

In the above photos, you will notice my cake is NOT yeller. That's 'cause all I had was chocolate. I'm gonna tell ya right now, ya want yeller cake mix, not chocolate. But the chocolate do taste mighty fine.

I been notice when I take a couple hours to write a funny or interest'n story, everbody comments on the other stuff. Why comes that??? Last night I was sit'n on the couch....freez'n my ass off, an' I got to think'n bout peas. Why peas? Hell I don't know, my mind works that way. Anyhows, up till I was bout 8 year old, I live on a farm in Missouri. There was 6 of us boys, I were the youngest. The other boys was orphan kids....or something like that. I was just a kid my daddy dumped there at a very young age. We ate vegetables. I hated vegetables. Vegetables was for girls. I were a meat an' taters, gravy 'n biscuits kind a guy. Bacon....cornbread an' buttermilk. Man eat'n kind of stuff.

We was sit'n there at the big ol' table, a bench on each side for us six kids...an' 2 chairs for Mom's an' Pop. It were supper time. I looks down at my plate an'....Oh my God, there was peas on it. Over there on the counter sits a still hot out the oven peach cobbler. Mom's look over at my plate an' says "Billy eat ever last pea on that plate and you can have a chunk that peach cobbler". I liked peach cobbler ya know, but I hated peas. An' I wanted me a big ol' glob that "still hot out the oven" peach cobbler.

Back in '47, most boy kids weared bib overalls....with the big pocket in the front. Right there under your chin. I slides up a little closer to the table and start sneek'n them peas in that pocket....when Mom's weren't look'n. Then I pretend like I was chew'n. Mak'n faces an' stuff like that....just in case somebody was watch'n me. I got them peas down to where there weren't but bout a spoon full left when Mom's looks over to me an' says...."Billy, you're such a good boy....unlike those other heathern boys". Why she said that, I don't know to this day.

Well that was when I see Joey watch'n what I were do'n out the corner his eye. He didn't like peas neither. Now Joey weren't the smartest slice of bread in a loaf an' he done got caught with a hand full of peas head'n under the table to his pocket. Mom's done catch that boy slap red handed. She snatch that boy up from the table by the nap his neck an' out the back door they go. She whoop hell out that boy. Now I'm skeered. When they comes back in the house, I had done got all them peas in my pocket and Joey, he sit over there cross the table from me giv'n me terrible evil looks, while I'm sit'n there look'n head on to a big ol' chunk of peach cobbler an' a glass of cold fresh squeezed milk out the ice box.

Out in the yard after we finish a delicious southern cook supper, complete with fresh baked peach cobble, I drags out from my front bib pocket half my peach cobbler, along with some peas what got mix in an' give 'em to poor little Joey. That what ya do when ya live on a farm....ya look out for each other.   

 

16 comments:

  1. Dang that cake looks good and I ain't much of a cake eater, pie is more to my taste.

    I liked your peas and cobbler story. That was nice of you to share your loot with Joey. You are a good guy, Billy Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Dizzy, you only know part of the story....

      Delete
  2. Loved your stories today...thanks for sharing and what a kind heart you have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake makes me hungry...both the picture and the recipe! I 'll have to try both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would go good with morn'n coffee out on the patio...weather permit'n.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your story. It was awfully nice to share your peach cobbler with Joey.

    Your cake looks delicious but this girl does not know how to cook. Too complicated and time consuming...and then I would probably botch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, instead of getting all the stuff at Walmart to make the cake, go to the dessert section of the Walmart and pickup a chocolate cake. Walla, problem solved!

      Delete
    2. How freak'n long does it take to turn a oven on? Mix'n up the ingredients is too simple....put it all in a bowl an' mix it up. Sheesh MsB.....

      Delete
  5. that cakes looks so good and i don't like chocolate! I will have to write the recipe down and try it for hubby (he loves anything chocolate)

    I have a question for you Billy Bob, what kind of setup do you have for boon docking for a long period like you are? We've never really boon docked for longer then 3 days as we are kinda afraid to .. i think it would open up more things for us if we knew we could do it.

    love your blog i've been following you for sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dag nab it, my reply went poooof, just like that.
      Tune in tomorrow for the answers....if'n I don't forget by then.

      Delete
  6. Jesus Billy... ya think ya could pleas everyone, hey? Gonna try the cake. Pre-made cakes have too much stuff in there ya can't pronounce.

    Gene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, Billy Bob. The way you told it made it great. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great story from your growin up days Billy Bob....thanks so much.

    Bigfoot and Littlefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I got behind. Busy working in the yard and fitting in a lot of relaxing.

    Thank You Very Much for the Cherry Chocolate Cake recipe. Easy and very very tasty! Got to say, I liked it with chocolate cake mix..can't get enough of the chocolate.

    I wore those bib overalls too and hid my meat in that big front pocket! You were a good brother.. mine would have ratted me out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very unique recipe.

    ReplyDelete