?

?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Leaving Deming

A short recap of the departure from Deming, NM.
Poooof, I was gone, just like that.

Sit out on "da porch" for a few final good-byes. Unhook the electric cord and sewer line. "Sally da house" is ready to roll.

I turns the key, engine fire up with a big puff of black smoke...just kidd'n....400 horsepower purr'n like a kitten. We pull straight out of the weed infested camp site....."STOP...stop right now". I gets out to retrieve my coffee jug from where I left it sit'n on "da porch". I don't go nowheres without my coffee.

Fueling up was easy. I'm the only one at the pumps. What is this? I can only purchase $75. That's OK, I can make it to Van Horn with out any stress or headaches that I'll run out of gas.

I got a head wind. Something like maybe 15 mile a hour. Not good for gas mileage ya know. The brake repairs Mark, my mechanic, did on "Sally" is outstanding. Brakes ain't never work this good before. No further splains needed. I can stop.

Oh Oh, we approaching El Paso....do'n a hunnert mile a hour ya know. Traffic is backed up.....a flash'n sign says "CRASH AHEAD 7 MILES" Ok, so I drive 0 to 15 mile a hour for the next hour an' a half. Two cars an' a pick up make contact. Then further down the road, still in El Paso, more back up traffic. Another fender bender. Further down the road....same thing. Take me over two hours to drive 30 miles.

We got open road, "Sally" cruis'n along with the flow. My mind wanders. Will I go to jail when I pull into Van Horn to refuel? Ya got to remember that I'm a wanted man in Van Horn. I broke a City ordinance by sleep'n at a truck stop. Three years ago, when I got me a citation, there was a internet fury from the RV'n community. Emails an' phone calls from disgrunted RV'ers shut City Hall down....but to no avail. The "no overnight camping" still stands.

I pull into the Texas Rest area just a few miles east of town. It's almost 6pm, central time. Me an' Sadie Mae pick out a great camp site with plenty grass to roll in, pee an' drop a log.

That's it. Nuttin excit'n, just a normal day "on thee road again".

Check'n my GPS (Rand McNalley), we decide to head off east to Ft. Stockton, take a little backwoods road to Sanderson an' catch up to US 90 east. That's bout the shortest route to Del Rio an' a hunnert big mouth bass fish. OFM Barney better not catch 'em all before I get there. He's that way ya know.

Ok....it's time to roll on down the road. Catch up to ya laters.

15 comments:

  1. Right now if you come in you will double the campground population. 277 north is still closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound pretty good for having driven through El Paso. The last time I drove through there I made up my mind I would NEVER do it again, and will drive 200 miles out of my way to go around it. Same with Phoenix! I hope you catch lots of fish and the weather is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driv'n through El Paso is a piece of cake....if'n ya know what lane to get in an' stay in it till the end. And there ain't no accidents....or some fool construction crew out there fix'n stuff.

      Delete
  3. I guess when you and Barney double up with fishing poles in hand, the fish population in south Texas will be threatened for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ain't the way me an' Barny fish. We take turns with only one pole.

      Delete
  4. I hope that you get into some really good fishing here in Texas!

    Good travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you avoided going to the slammer...jajajajajaja!!!

    I remember that incident like it was yesterday, everyone up in arms about that ticket. You had the RV world in an uproar :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just keep laugh'n girl. When I call you to come bail me out, you won't be laugh'n no more.
      Same thing happen in Reno, Nevada a few years ago. They finally change their "code" to be RV friendly after thousands of RV'ers rais'n hell.

      Delete
  6. That $75 fuel limit deal, you have to do it again until you get what you need, $75 at a time... or go in & talk to the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I was in need of was enough fuel to make it to my next fuel stop in Van Horn, Texas.
      Ha ha, be a cold day in hell when the old Billy Bob "talk to the people". I don't do that. Go down the road to the next station first.

      Delete
  7. On the road again and sounding in good shape. Hope you catch your limit, BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful day Sissy. Fell pretty good until I over stay my time behind the wheel. Did 343 miles today an' I don't do over 200.

      When the old Billy Bob is fish'n, there ain't no limit. Hide 'em if'n I have to. But I usually catch an' release.

      Delete
  8. That does seem like a long driving day, but seems you be enjoying it. Have to much fun and get ready to catch those monster huge bass, fishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you going to attempt to spend the winter at Del Rio again this year Billy Bob?

    ReplyDelete